This site is considered to be among the best preserved wooden steamship wrecks in the sanctuary, with the propeller shaft tunnel as one of the most notably preserved features at the site. The propeller shaft has at least five shaft casing mounts still in place. Unfortunately however, due to its position on the outer tier of remaining vessel sites, this exposes the remains to frequently turbulent water conditions, and submersion during high tide, making it one of the most difficult to access. The hull has been in its present location since at least 1929.
Photograph of Aowa launching at the Johnson Shipyard Company, Staten Island, New York, on July 16, 1918. (Source: National Archives).
Remains of Aowa, stern in the foreground with the bow facing toward the Maryland shoreline. (Photo: Matt McIntosh/NOAA).
Close up of Aowa, using drone image mosaic taken by Duke University. (Source: Duke University/NOAA).
Aowa archaeological site plan. (Credit: Program in Maritime Studies, East Carolina University)
ECU archaeologists document the Aowa. (Photo: Matt McIntosh)
Image depicts the Aowa and ECU archaeologists documenting the wreck. (Photo: Matt McIntosh)